Pages

Wednesday, November 23

Time to sign up!

The Fall session at Fleisher has just ended, but I'm already working on plans for the Winter session! Course offerings are available online and registration (after a brief technical hiccup this week) will open up on Monday, November 28th.
For kids I'll be teaching my usual Saturday afternoon silkscreen for 11-13 year olds. I'm planning on a T-shirt project and a reduction print among other things. Lottery forms are available online and must be turned in by December 2nd.
 I'm also scheduled to teach a Wednesday after school Softies class for 8-10 year olds from 3:30-5. We'll do a 2-sided critter, a self-portrait doll, and a mythical patchwork creature. This is perfect for students who live and go to school close to Fleisher or for home-schooled students who would like a fiber art experience with a certified art educator like me!
For adults I've got 3 options:
There's Monday night Intro to color theory from 7-9:30. We use acrylic paints for color exercises to build up a sketchbook for future reference. Topics include color characteristics, mixing, harmonies, contrast, symbolism, and illusions. If interested in this one, register ASAP on Monday morning- There are 25 slots, but free classes fill up very quickly.
Stitch and Surface will be on Thursday nights from 6:30-9:30. I'm thinking we'll do a mandala sampler, some block printing on fabric, and perhaps a scrap collage/fused surface, but I haven't totally decided yet. There's a maximum of 14 students for this class, and it usually fills.

My newest course offering for adults is Silkscreen on Fabric!! We'll do pigment and dye printing and learn how to put an image into repeat. We'll mostly use photo emulsion to burn images into screens to print. This is open to all levels like all my classes. There are only 8 slots open for silkscreen due to limited space, so sign up early!
Since this is a brand new course I'm doing more preparation than usual. This week 3 books I ordered arrived, and I'm in surface and pattern design heaven. I love having really good resource books available for students to browse through, and these are real winners. I'm especially happy with "A Field Guide to Fabric Design" by Kimberly Kight. She has a really simple explanation for putting motifs into seamless repeat, and beautiful illustrations of modern fabric designers' work.
It might be hard to think past the holiday season, but classes can make a great gift for a creative loved one, and just think how great it would be to have some artistic exploration to brighten up the winter season!

No comments:

Post a Comment