Pages

Tuesday, October 27

Walk around the Block

Been working steadily lately- not much excitement, but lots of concentration. Yesterday (oh where did you go beautiful weather?) I went out into the neighborhood near school, took a walk around the block to collect more glass and mirror bits. The city is a veritable treasure trove! Above you can see how I'm playing with the placement. All the pieces on the right hand embroidery are all stitched down now. I'm trying to use the bits as a mark-making element in the compositions and have the roundish mirror and glass pieces echo the shibori circles in the piece. Once I get some more finished I'm hoping to photograph everything and perhaps submit work for an alumni show at Moore. (See, if I say that here, it holds me accountable and I'm more likely to do it.)

Been thinking about doing some rust-dyed paper pieces to make up for the slowness of my stitching. Also this morning I woke up and looked at the brass rubbing framed piece I have in my room, which is a silver crayon rubbing on black paper of a beautiful gravestone from Westminster? in London, I thought about texture rubbings around the neighborhood, but in a more elegant manner than the usual kids and crayon city texture rubbings...

This is an image of the same rubbing I have I found on the internet- the text says "When Oxford gave thee two degrees in art, And love possessed thee ruler of my heart, Thy college fellowship thou lefst for mine, And nought but death could....(illegible), Thirty five years we lived in wedlocke blessed, Conjoined in our hearts as well as hands, But death the love of best friends destroys, And ..." I can't read the rest off this image. Maybe I'll update this when I can get home and read it off the original. I've always loved how it shows the love in a marriage, between seemingly equals, even back in 1620.

2 comments:

  1. I was in Edinburgh in St. Michaels Church and made a rubbing of the above. It reads: When Oxofrd gave thee two degrees in art and love possest thee master of my heart and nought but death could separate me from thee conjoined in our hearts as well as hands but death the bodies of best friends devides and in the earths close womb their relics hide yet here they are not lost but sown that they may rise more glorious at the judgment day. (original is in old english with different spelling)
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete