This quilt-top has been hanging on my wall since I moved into the studio last December. It finally told me what it wanted to become. Into the dyepot with a little clamping to preserve a small section of the original color and to create some contrast. Believe it or not I DID iron this and the backing cloth before trying to baste it! I was able to pin the layers together on my floor, but put it up on the wall to baste it.
Friday, September 6
I've been busy the past few weeks getting ready for the new school year- but things have been simmering in the studio too. Seems like text is making a comeback in my latest work. The stump piece I started out in Montana is getting text embroidered in from a poem one of the other participants wrote during our residency:
My latest postcards are all bound up and have graffiti inspired text:
The photo transfer above resulted in a flipped image and backwards text. Since it was pretty indecipherable in the first place I decided to find my own letters and stitch over them. The piece below started off as a scrap sketch for the larger one I've been working on, so I finished it off with some bubbly text stating "BE".
Today I finished up a submission for an exhibit in Brooklyn at Wayfarer's gallery. They came up with a text and gave each artist a word to translate into a work of art. My word was "LIFER".
I'm curious what other kinds of interpretations and media people used. There will be around 250 artists!! I'm not sure if I'll be able to go up for the opening or not, but that will be November 9th if you're in the Brooklyn area. It's all bound and ready to ship!